Three arrested over Manchester bomb attack as troops deployed

0
66

Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins told reporters it was very clear they were investigating what he called “a network”.

Police in Manchester, England, believe the man who detonated a deadly explosive outside an Ariana Grande concert on Monday was part of a larger terrorist network.

Crowds gathered today to lay flowers and pay tribute to the 22 people killed outside the Manchester Arena.

The presence of troops comes as the United Kingdom raised its threat level to “critical”, its highest.

Mrs May spoke to Mr Corbyn in the hours after the bomb attack which killed 22 in Manchester, and agreed to put the contest on hold until further notice.

North Korea has generally frosty relations with Western nations, which are seeking tougher sanctions meant to curb its missile and nuclear programmes.

Mr Ng Yong Quan, an exchange student at the Stuttgart Media University in Germany, was supposed to go with two friends for Grande’s concert at The O2 arena in London tomorrow, but that has been scrapped.

A European security official said Abedi was a Briton of Libyan descent. Police said the man was arrested in south Manchester.

Desperate parents and friends posted heart-wrenching messages and pictures on social media in the search for their loved ones who had been at the concert by Ariana Grande, a U.S. singer who has a large number of young and teenage fans.

Operation Temperer could see as many as 5,000 soldiers take part in guarding duties, as railway stations, airports and other sensitive locations such as music concerts and sports events.

Salman Abedi’s father has also been arrested in capital Tripoli, counter-terror police in the North African country said.

In a sign of the increased threat, the military could be deployed to support armed police officers, Mrs May said. “That is why the terrorists will never win and we will prevail”, May said.

Manchester, meanwhile, has been in shock but also stood defiant.

“We have seen terror attacks in France, in Germany and now unfortunately in Britain”, Liberman said on Army Radio, extending his condolences to the victims of the worst bombing in Britain since attacks in London in 2005 killed 52 people.

Islamic State claimed the Manchester attack in a short message in Arabic and English posted on the online messaging service Telegram and picked up by the SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors militant websites.

There has been considerable police activity around Manchester since the bombing.

Grande, who was not injured in the blast, tweeted: “broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don’t have words”.

“When we left, down the stairs there was probably early teenagers lying on the floor covered in blood and blood on the walls where they’d been laid, so it was just horrifying”, female concert-goer Alex Grayson told AFP.

Around 20 people remain in a critical condition with those wounded battling “highly traumatic injuries” such as damage to major organs and limbs, a health official says.

Advertisement

“We don’t believe in killing innocents”.

People take part in a vigil for the victims of an attack on concert goers at Manchester Arena in central Manchester Britain

SHARE

LEAVE A REPLY